Saturday, January 5, 2013

handmade gifts 2012, part 2


For my nephew, Michael, who will be getting his own place soon. Presumably on Tatooine. I designed the coffee mug in Illustrator and produced it via Zazzle. I'm counting it as handmade even though I didn't technically make the mug. It was shipped so promptly and turned out just great, but of course I forgot to take a picture of the real mug. Blast!

These photos are from Zazzle's project preview, which is amazingly accurate. I've made a few things on Zazzle over the last few years and I'm always pleased with the result.


This quickly made light/dark switch plate was a last-minute addition. It was inspired by some really funny ones I've seen around the web. All it takes to DIY is a Sharpie and The Force. Ok, just a Sharpie.

Also included a bar of both white and dark chocolate in the package labeled as Luke and Vader's faves. Belabor the theme, I did.

17 comments:

  1. I love Zazzle! They rock! Also, that light switch is so awesome!
    Liz
    http://liz-makes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do rock. I had a small hiccup because the first mug I designed that looked similar to R2 was bounced by them for trademark concerns, so I had to revamp to something pretty generic for it to be accepted. 2nd time's the charm. :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I love Star Wars. I'm such a nerd, so I love that my nephew is too. :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Huge geek, I am. However, I could totally do without episodes 1, 2, and 3. LAME. :-) Spoken like a true old grouch.

      Delete
  4. love the mug! We still have ours. :) G is becoming a fan - so proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about your mug when I ordered this one. Those were good times. And it sure is a big country. Ha. My two are getting into it too. We'll be a family of super geeks.

      Delete
  5. LOL this is totally great!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow that mug is great. Did you make it available to buy from Zazzle, or just order it as a one off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sharlene,
      I didn't make it available because it seemed impossible to market it or name it in any way that made sense. I can't use any term that is a stars wars term, so it seemed like a problem.

      Delete
  7. Love the light switch plate! Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. can you send me the link or the graphic design

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!